Proteus is one of the most delightful things I have played. So many games are fun, but Loco Roco, Okami and now Proteus are probably the only ones I have played that I could describe as delightful.
Proteus Official Launch Trailer
This isn’t going to be a review, because everyone’s surely heard about this game already thanks to the ‘it’s not a game!’ wankerypop it generated. I’m writing this because the game is now available for Windows and Linux and at the time of writing is only £3.50 on Steam. If you can’t eke £3.50’s worth of fun out of Proteus you are a charmless joy-void.
Lovely things I found or did in Proteus:
- Chasing a frog over a mountain by moonlight.
- The roses around the gravestone.
- Two dragons dancing in the sky in spring and summer.
- Going to the circle of statues on Autumn nights and watching the sky turn blood red.
- A magical sparkling frog!
- The crabs go to sleep! How adorable!
- Owls owls owls!
- Finding two or even three different kinds of frog at once and making them into a jaunty cowbell frog chorus.